Why We Fundraise
Why do we fundraise for breast cancer cures?
- Because 1 in 8 women in the U.S. will be diagnosed with breast cancer in her lifetime.
- Because 1 in 4 women age 40-64 in Dallas County do not have health insurance.
- Because 4 cases of breast cancer will be diagnosed in Dallas County each day this year.
- Because every 19 seconds, somewhere in the world, a case of breast cancer is diagnosed in a woman.
- Because every 60 seconds, somewhere in the world, someone dies from breast cancer; every 13 minutes, one woman in the U.S. will lose her life to breast cancer.
- Because breast cancer knows no boundaries. It affects people of every age, gender, socio-economic status and location.
- Because at the current rate, 13 million breast cancer deaths will occur around the world in the next 25 years.
- Because it’s time to go beyond breast cancer awareness. It’s time to take action!
We can fight these statistics together by fundraising for the Dallas Race for the Cure®.
Your fundraising makes a true impact. Just consider how far we have come, thanks in part to supporters like you:
- Race for the Cure® has raised more than $2 billion to help fund research, education, screening and treatment.
- In 1980, the 5-year relative survival rate for women diagnosed with early-stage breast cancer was about 74 percent. Today, that number is 99 percent.
- Since our founding in 1982, Susan G. Komen’s national research program has invested in cutting-edge research that has helped make major breakthroughs possible.
- Funding for discoveries in genetics and biology has led to personalized, less-invasive breast cancer treatments to replace the less-effective “one-treatment-fits-all” approach.
The Komen Dallas Race for the Cure® is your opportunity to race, fundraise, prove that you are More Than Pink®, and help us end breast cancer forever.
Register or log in to fundraise today!